Baked Italian Fontina

I'm a sucker for good fondue and I would not be able to live within my means if I frequently ate at the Melting Pot... therefore a good fondue recipe would be a nice addition to my recipe collection.

Enter "Baked Fontina" this recipe has roots in Ina Gater's How Easy is That? I found it here.

As usual I adapted the ingredients to serve 2-4 people rather than 6-8.

Ingredients: 
-3/4 lbs Italian fontina, rind removed and cubed into 1-inch pieces
-3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
-1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
-1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
-1/2 tsp Kosher salt
-1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper



Adjust the oven rack so that the pan will sit closely under the broiler unit of your oven...but not touching the broiler unit. Set oven to broil.


 I included mozzarella cheese in this recipe, because we were halving the recipe, it was more cost effective to buy a cheaper Italian cheese to make up the extra .25 pounds of cheese.
Cube cheese, add to oven proof container, the recipe suggests a cast iron pan, all I had was glass.

Broil for 6 minutes. While the fondue is melting, cube some bread for dipping, vegetables or crackers would also work well with this fondue.

Carefully remove from the oven and serve (will be hot!!)


Yummy, cheesy goodness.

This fondue was delicious! I will definitely be adding this recipe to my repertoire of party appetizers because this was so quick and easy to make. The cheese and the herbs complimented each other so well this is sure to be a hit at any party.

 I do recommend sticking with strictly fontina cheese, the mozzarella didn't alter the taste too much but did make the fondue much more elastic than it might have been otherwise -- especially as it cooled down.

Comments

Popular Posts