Cheese and Onion Pie

Wow 600 views! Thanks for the support. 


The staple of my diet while in England was cheese pie a delightful English classic which is served a variety of ways. This recipe comes from the BBC and this will be the first of many pie recipes on this blog because aside from this pie I'd love to recreate a mashed potato pie as well as the goat cheese and red pepper pie I had in London.

The BBC recipe calls for homemade pie crust, but after a bad experience with making pie crust in high school home ec. class I tend to shy away from making my own -- I'll use store bought crust, if you're like me and don't like to make pastry add one package of pie crust to your list.

Ingredients: 
-1 medium potato, peeled and cut into cubes
-2 onions, finely sliced
-1 tbsp plain flour
-2oz whole milk
-2oz double cream
-5½oz mature cheddar cheese, grated
-½ tsp English mustard
-½ tsp cayenne pepper
-salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bring two pots of water to a boil.

Press the pie crust into a pie tin and place in the oven for ten minutes. The instructions call for adding something heavy (such as baking beans) to the pie so the crust won't rise, I didn't have those so I just pushed the risen crust back down after I removed the pan from the oven.



Chop onions and cube potatoes.

Add the onions to one pot of boiling water and the potatoes to another. The potatoes will cook for ten minutes and the onions for three.

Drain the potatoes and set aside. Drain the onions and return to the pot.

Add flour to the onions and saute for three minutes. Then add cream and milk followed by mustard and cayenne. The sauce will thicken.  

Add the potatoes to the pot with the onions and add the cheese.
Stir until the cheese is melted. 

Pour the filling into the pie crust.

Add the top crust to the pie.

Use a fork to crimp the edges.

Cut two-four small holes into the top to allow steam to escape.

Beat an egg in a bowl.
Brush egg wash on the top of the pie.

Bake for 25-30 minutes.

Slice and serve.

My boyfriend declared this "the best thing" that I've made. This is a great vegetarian main dish and I'm looking forward to making this recipe again and trying to create some variations.

Comments

Popular Posts