Creamy Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons


I love summer, but fall is my favorite season and I've been inadvertently trying to speed up its arrival by craving soup. Here's an easy recipe with few ingredients. The crouton recipe comes from Pinterest and you can find the original here.

Ingredients:
Soup
- 1 Can of Condensed Tomato Soup
- Cream
- Shredded Cheese to Garnish

Croutons 
- Bread (any type)
- Cheese (any type)
- Butter
- Thyme

You can use whatever type of bread and cheese you'd like to use -- I used white bread and cheddar cheese.

The instructions for this recipe are pretty simple, but the pay-out is worth it.


Start your soup.

Make your grilled cheese, but sprinkle some thyme onto the butter of each side.  I usually under cook my grilled cheese, but you want to make sure the sandwich is nice and crispy.

Let your grilled cheese cool.

Using a very serrated knife cut the grilled cheese into cubes.


Cut into small squares. My sandwich made 15 croutons (I ate a few before the picture was taken).

Once the soup is finished add cream slowly and stir until soup is the desired color.

If you're worried about the cream curdling, don't be! Just add it slowly.

Creamy tomato soup.

Serve with the grilled cheese croutons.

This recipe was so easy to make a delicious. You can add the croutons slowly or add them all at once. For the most part the croutons stay crispy, but if they're submerged in the soup for too long they will become a little soggy (don't worry they still taste good). The croutons are a nice twist on a classic meal.

Comments

  1. That looks lovely. Thanks for linking in to Food on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole, it's the perfect grown up version of grilled cheese and tomato soup. Thanks again for hosting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I check the blog daily so I'll get back to you soon.

Popular Posts