Orange Scones


Check back later tonight for a post from my first guest blogger!!

This recipe has a dual reasoning for decision to blog it. While in England we had scones once and they were delightful,  my boyfriend and I's mutual favorite pastry at Panera Bread is the orange scone. There are clearly differences between the two -- the English scone was savory, served toasted with butter whereas the scones from Panera Bread are very sweet with an orange glaze. My scones lean towards the Americanized side of the scone spectrum, but nevertheless it's a nice English classic that made a nice end to my Halloumi Kabobs.

Making dough/pastry is one of my least favorite cooking techniques, but it was a necessity for the recipe -- I do these things because I love you.

This was one of the recipes I found on Pinterest.

Ingredients:

Scones 
-1/4 cup heavy cream
-1/4 cup buttermilk
-1 egg
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-zest and juice of 1 orange
-2 cups flour
-1/3 cup sugar
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-6 T. cold butter, cut into small pieces




Mix the cream, buttermilk, egg, vanilla, orange zest and orange juice.

In a separate bowl mix together the dry ingredients and mix butter into the bowl of dry ingredients until the dough is crumbly. 

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry.


Mix well, but don't over mix.

Portion into large balls (the recipe said it would make 12, I made 10)

Bake for 15-18 minutes.

These scones were really good! They really did taste like the scones from Panera Bread. However, my boyfriend drank all of the orange juice so I didn't get me make a glaze for the scones, hopefully next time. I've been toasting them and slathering them with butter.

Comments

Popular Posts