Skinny Bloomin' Onion


When we're not cooking, J. and I love to eat out (expensive and unhealthy, I know). One of J.'s favorite restaurants is Outback Steakhouse and we always order a Bloomin' Onion for an appetizer, however, the Bloomin' onion is not meant to feed just two people and it is incredibly unhealthy for you. Although I'm sometimes wary of "skinny" or "low-fat" recipes I decided to try this to see if it would compare. You can find the original post over at Hungry Girl, there are also much better pictures.

I made some adaptations to this recipe based on what I had on hand.

Ingredients:
Bloomin' Onion-Large, white onion
-Breadcrumbs
-1 egg
-1/4 tsp. salt
-1/4 tsp. garlic powder
-1/8 tsp. black pepper

Sauce-3 tbsp. fat-free mayonnaise
-2 tsp. ketchup
-1/8 tsp. seasoned salt
-dash chili powder

Slice half an inch of the pointy side of the onion off.

Slice the onion into four sections, making sure not to cut through the bottom (you want the pieces to be attached).

Then slice the sections again to make eight sections. Peel the onion.

Soak cut side down in ice water for 5 minutes or until you can easily pull apart the layers. 
Pour a whisked egg over the sliced onion making sure to get into all of the layers. 
Coat in the breadcrumb mixture, making sure to get into all of the layers. 
Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. 
While the onion is baking mix together the sauce.

We both took two bites, looked at each other and then threw this into the trash. It may be incredibly unhealthy, but I will be sticking with my regular Bloomin' Onion. 

Comments

Popular Posts