Confetti Macaroni and Cheese


I love macaroni and cheese, but I've been working on trying to make some of my recipes a little more healthy, this confetti macaroni and cheese is from the blog Peas and Crayons. I used whole wheat pasta because for the diet I am currently on that counts as "better" for me than regular pasta, I know there are a lot of people on gluten free diets thought -- feel free to use whatever type of pasta you'd like. This recipe would also look great with small shells. 

Other Mac & Cheese Recipes from Vegetarian & Cooking!:
Spicy Macaroni & Cheese
Mac & Cheese Stuffed Peppers
Tomato Soup Mac & Cheese
Mac & Cheese Pizza
Grilled Mac & Cheese Sandwich
Panera Mac & Cheese

Ingredients:
-12 oz uncooked pasta, elbow macaroni or other small shape (about 3 cups)
-1/8 tsp table salt, for pasta cooking water
-2 cup(s) fat-free skim milk
-1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
-3/4 tsp table salt
-3/4 tsp onion powder
-1 cup(s) low-fat shredded Cheddar cheese, sharp-variety
-1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce, or more to taste
-Any vegetables you'd like to use -- I used carrots, broccoli and green onion

Follow this recipe to make the macaroni and cheese, Easy Macaroni and Cheese. This is the recipe that I always use to make homemade macaroni and cheese, it's super easy. You can use any recipe you'd like to or you can even use pre-packaged macaroni and cheese and add the cooked vegetables later.

Cut up the vegetables into small pieces.
Boil a large pot of water, I cooked the veggies and the pasta in the same pot for 5-6 minutes.

Combine the sauce from the stove with the macaroni/vegetable, stir in the cheese and hot pepper sauce. Server warm with salt, pepper and cayenne.


This recipe was great. I love macaroni and cheese and this was a great way to sneak in some vegetables because the main flavor is the cheese. I don't have any children, but J. is a really picky eater and I think this would be a great way to get some extra vegetables into a meal for both of us. You can add as many vegetables as you'd like and you can add whichever kind you like. Whenever I make macaroni and cheese I will be adding more vegetables. 

Comments

Popular Posts