Baked Chocolate Doughnuts




J. and I had a wonderful Valentine's Date on Friday. Becky, J. and I like to go out a lot, so I'm going to start trying to incorporate some of that into the blog with some reviews of the vegetarian dishes I had and where you can find those meals. This will be an occasional addition to the blog, the first is from the restaurant we went to for Valentine's Day, you can check that out below.

The recipe for today gave me yet another chance to use the doughnut pan I bought on Black Friday. I think I'm becoming obsessed with it, I can't help but pin every baked doughnut recipe that I find on Pinterest.

This one comes form Lara Ferroni, check out the original, her photos are gorgeous.

Other doughnut recipes: Baked Lemon Doughnuts

Ingredients:
-~1 cup all purpose flour
-2 tablespoons natural cocoa powder
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
-3/4 cup sugar
-1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
-1/2 teaspoon fine grain salt
-2 tablespoons unsalted butter
-1/4 cup buttermilk
-1/4 cup yogurt
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1 large egg

Preheat the oven to 350.

Sift together the dry ingredients. 
Add in the melted butter.
Mix well to form course crumbs.
Mix together the buttermilk, yogurt, eggs, vanilla.
Pour into the dry ingredients.
Do not over mix!! 
Pour the batter into a ziplock bag and then pipe into a greased doughnut pan.

Bake for 9-11 minutes, then cool.
To make a glaze,  mix milk with one cup of powdered milk until a glaze is formed.
Coat each doughnut.



These doughnuts were good, but there was a little too much nutmeg flavor. I think next time I would defiantly put in less. Over all these were a hit though, there as only one left the next day.





Bliss

On Friday, J. and I went to a restaurant called Bliss, which is a local Italian restaurant. They also do catering (potentially future wedding food, it's that good) and the specials change weekly, the appetizer came from the Valentine's Day specials, whereas my meal was from the traditional menu.

                   

The ravioli on the right was our appetizer
Love Ravioli: From the menu -- "Hidden burst of goat cheese & roasted beet in a brown butter sauce topped with toasted walnuts."

I thought this was really good, the color was perfect for Valentine's Day and it had great flavor. J. didn't like the filling in the ravioli, I had never had beets before, but  I didn't think the flavor was overwhelming. J. really enjoyed the brown butter sauce.

The ravioli on the left was my meal
Venetian Ravioli: From the menu -- "Cheese ravioli with sun dried tomatoes, asparagus & walnuts in pesto cream."

This was one of the best things I have ever eaten at a restaurant, the sauce was so good that I could have eaten it with a spoon. I love asparagus and it paired so well with the ravioli and sauce. J. had ordered a fettuccine dish and once he had a bite of mine he was wishing that he had ordered the same thing.

Comments

Popular Posts