Deconstructed Wedge Salad


This salad is inspired by something I had at a restaurant a few months ago. In December, Becky, J. and I went to Crave. The food was delicious, so much so that we're going back later this month for my birthday. I had the Crave Wedge Salad while I was there.

Other Salad Wednesday Posts: Cucumber Salad


Last time I looked the salad was no longer on the menu, but it was so good when I had it. There was a creamy white balsamic dressing, a soft boiled egg, onion jam, tomatoes and brown butter croutons.

This blog is made up of several different skills which came from many different places, the croutons come from the Splendid Table and the eggs come from Eat, Live, Run.

Other Salad Wednesday Posts: Cucumber Salad

Ingredients:
Brown Butter Croutons
-3 tablespoons unsalted butter
-4 slices rustic bread, crusts removed, cut into 3/4- to 1- inch cubes
-Salt and pepper

Balsamic Dressing
-Balsamic vinegar
-Olive oil, equal part to the balasmic vinegar
-A pinch of brown sugar

Soft Boiled Egg
-Eggs, as many as needed
-Water

Croutons:

Heat the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat, you want it to melt.


You also want the butter to brown.
Once browned, toss the bread cubes in the butter.
Season with salt and pepper.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until golden brown. 

Balsamic Vinaigrette:

Whisk together all ingredients. I was making enough vinaigrette for one person, so adjust the proportions accordingly. 


Soft Boiled Eggs:

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, slowly lower in as many eggs as needed, cover the pot, reduce to low and cook for five minutes.

Once five minutes is up, remove the eggs and place them gently into cold water.

Gently, very, very gently crack the eggs and remove the shell.
Remember, the eggs will be pliable still and the yolk is still runny.
Serve over lettuce with a tomato and onion jam if desired. 
Deliciousness.

The original recipe used a white balsamic dressing, but I already had regular balsamic vinegar so I used that, the white would make for a more appealing presentation. The salad as a whole was good, but the star of the dish was the soft-boiled egg with the brown butter croutons. From now on I think I'll be making my own salad croutons, they were absolutely delicious.

Comments

Popular Posts