Mashed Potato Pie


Welcome to the 250th post from Vegetarian & Cooking! I let J. choose the recipe for today and we couldn't be happier with how everything turned out.

This recipe comes from KayoticKitchen, the original comes from The Southern Junior League Cookbook.

We cut the recipe in half since just two of us were eating, I served this a side dish with a light salad.

Ingredients:
-2 pound potatoes (about 3 medium-large potatoes is 1 pound)
-1/2 pound fresh mozzarella balls
-1/2 cup grated Parmesan
-3 tomatoes
-1 oz butter
-1/4 cup milk
-1 tsp oregano
-1 tsp basil
-pepper & salt to taste
-Garlic Powder, to taste

Make the mashed potatoes, peel, cube and boil the potatoes until fork tender. Drain and mash with the butter and milk. I didn't measure those ingredients so you can do that to taste. I also added some garlic powder to make garlic potatoes.

Spread the mashed potatoes into a pie pan.
Top with thinly sliced mozzarella, the original blog stressed the importance of using fresh mozzarella, which I also used. 

Top with tomatoes, also thinly sliced.  

Add more mozzarella and top with parmesan cheese. 

Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes.
Serve.


Overall J. and I both liked this recipe, two things that I would have done differently:
  1.  I wish I would have added more seasoning, when I first put the potatoes in the pan they smelled deliciously garlic filled and tasted garlicky, but after baking with the cheese and tomatoes, they were
    a little more plain. Don't be afraid to excessively season!
  2. I wish I would have left the potatoes more firm, like the original post recommended. Don't over mash your potatoes because the liquid from the tomatoes and mozzarella will soften the potatoes a lot.
Overall a great post, we enjoyed the switched-up side dish. 

Comments

Popular Posts