Vegetarian "Meatloaf"





Okay, I know this sounds crazy, but bear with me. J. is Catholic and as Lent was approaching we were throwing around ideas of what traditional recipes we could try to make meatless in anticipation of him not eating meat of Fridays. Enter...the meatloaf, one of J's favorite recipes. Would it be possible to make a great vegetarian meat loaf which would make my carnivore boyfriend happy? Every recipe I could find involved lentils and I personally don't enjoy lentils, so I made this one up. I hope you enjoy!

Serve with: Olive Oil, Garlic, Chives & Parmesan Mashed Potatoes and Basil Pesto Rolls.


Ingredients:
-8 veggie burgers, any type, we used four Morning Star Italian Style and four Morning Star Garden Patties
-1 egg
-Bread crumbs
-Dehydrated Onions
-Marinara Sauce
-Crescent Rolls 

Thaw the frozen veggie burgers, you need to be able to work with them.
Smoosh them with your hands to mix them up, add the dehydrated onions, bread crumbs and egg. 
This was J.'s job.
Mix, mix, mix.
Press into a greased loaf pan. 
Traditional meatloaf will rise a bit, this won't so if you want a fuller pan, add additional burgers.

Top with marinara sauce.
Top with crescent rolls. 
Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350, you want the rolls to be golden brown and the loaf to be cooked through. 

Enjoy!

You might be able to tell from the picture that the crescent rolls on top of my loaf are not cooked...that is exactly what happens. The loaf was also a little cold in the center, but we only cooked the loaf for about 11 minutes at 350. I would recommend cooking it for longer, if you're worried about the bread on top, just keep an eye on it in the last few minutes. Overall, I think this was a great success, I've never had traditional meatloaf, but I thought this was great. It stayed moist, and was pretty tasty. We all had second helpings and it rounded out dinner perfectly. We served it with garlic mashed potatoes and crescent rolls.

Comments

Popular Posts