Roasted Red Pepper & Feta Scones


Bread that doesn't require yeast? Sign me up! I fell in love with this recipe when I saw it on Pinterest because it was so different from everything else that I typically see. Another great thing about this recipe was that I already had most of the ingredients on hand, for me that always makes for a good recipe because I hate going to the grocery store. I served this with pasta (I know, carb overload), it would also be good served with some soup, chili or a salad.

The original recipe is from Joy the Baker.

Ingredients:
-4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-1 tablespoon sugar
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
-1 large egg, beaten
-1 3/4 cup buttermilk, cold
-1 cup coarsely chopped roasted red peppers*
-heaping 1/2 cup coarsely crumbled feta cheese
-1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

To make roasted pepper, cut one in half and remove the seeds and membranes.
Broil until the skin is blackened. 
Place in a bowl covered with plastic for 5-10 minutes until skin is easily removable.
Remove all of the skin from the peppers and give them a rough chop.

Mix all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl, thoroughly mix in the cold butter until there are pea sized pieces of flour coated butter throughout.

Add the buttermilk and an egg.

Add the roasted red peppers and feta.

Place the loaf in an olive oil coated skillet or pie pan.
Top with black pepper.
Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the top is golden brown at 425.



I was disappointed with this recipe, but it was entirely my fault. I did not have a pie pan or a cast-iron skillet handy (that is always a problem in J.'s college kitchen) so I used his roommates wok which was oven ready... as a result my bread was too dense and it was impossible to get it cooked through in the center. I ended up slicing the bread into pieces and trimming out the uncooked dough because there was no way I could put it back in the oven without burning it, because I had already put it back in a few times.

Overall good flavor, it was a great savory bread! Just make sure to use an appropriate sized pan so your loaf is not too dense. 

Comments

Popular Posts