Lentil Sloppy Joes



I found this Lentil Sloppy Joe recipe on Pinterest and thought that it was a really interesting concept. I haven't had a Sloppy Joe in a long time due to having been a vegetarian for so long, so I thought this would be good to try.

From Chocolate Covered Katie.

Ingredients: 
-3 cups cooked lentils
-1 tbsp minced garlic
-1 1/4 tsp chili powder
-1 tbsp ground cumin
-1/2 tsp salt
-3/4 tsp cinnamon
-3-5 tsp sugar, or to taste
-14 oz tomato sauce
-up to 1 cup water
-1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
-2 tbsp soy sauce
-Buns

Mix all ingredients in a medium sized skillet (except the buns), heat thoroughly. Serve on whatever type of bun you'd like, we had wheat Kaiser rolls.


This got mixed reviews. Two of us hated it -- I think that I just do not like lentils, so it wasn't the flavor that was an issue, but rather the lentils themselves. One liked this served Sloppy Joe style on the bun. Another thought that it was good, but shouldn't be on a bun. Not sure if I would make it again, but it was worth a try!

Comments

Popular Posts