Fried Pickles with Spicy Remoulade




It's Mardi Gras! I cannot wait until I can head down to New Orleans to experience it all first hand, until then I'll have to satisfy myself with some delicious Cajun food while I'm stuck in Ohio. I made this recipe with the new man in my life, D. He had never tried fried pickles before (how he has missed out on the deliciousness of fried pickles his entire life, I will never know).

D's haiku about his first fried pickle experience:
Two cups dill pickles
Flour egg milk more flour dredge fry
Once green golden brown

That's as easy as this recipe gets. I couldn't find one recipe that I like so I used the batter from All Recipes and the remoulade is from a previous blog here.

Other Mardi Gras Recipes:
Crock Pot Cajun Gumbo
Vegetarian Muffaleta Sandwich
Purple, Green and Gold Mardi Gras Cocktail

Ingredients: 
-1 egg beaten
-2 cup milk
-1 tablespoon flour
-1 tablespoon soy sauce
-3/4 teaspoon salt
-3/4 teaspoon black pepper
-3 1/2 cups flour
-2 cups of sliced dill pickles
-Oil for frying.

Remoulade Sauce
-1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
-1/4 cup mustard
-1 Tbsp sweet paprika
-1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
-2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
-4 teaspoons hot sauce
-1 large clove garlic, minced and smashed

In a large bowl mix together the egg, milk, 1 tablespoon of flour and soy sauce.

To prepare the pickles, first dip in the milk mixture then coat them in flour (this is where the 3.5 cups of flour comes in). Fry in a hot pan until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel and season with salt and pepper as soon as they come out of the oil. 


You want the oil to be very hot, the pickles should sizzle when placed in the pan.
If they don't, it's not hot enough.

To make the remoulade sauce, whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. Taste the sauce before serving, if you like a little more heat, add more seasoning. 


Serve with the remoulade sauce. 
  
Perfection. 

I was really happy with how this recipe turned out, I thought the pickles had good flavoring and paired nicely with the remoulade sauce. D. also liked this, which is good because I really talked up this recipe before we tried it. Seriously, fried pickles are so delicious, they rank up there with fried green tomatoes.

Comments

Popular Posts