French Toast Grilled Cheese


This grilled cheese was inspired by some of the leftovers I had in my fridge. I had been thinking about making a French toast grilled cheese, but I hate making grilled cheese and eating it alone. Is it weird that I'll eat a whole box of Girl Scout cookies in one sitting, but not a grilled cheese? Either way, I was having difficulty convincing Dave to eat a sweet French toast grilled cheese so we decided to make one that was savory.

A Vegetarian & Cooking! original.

Ingredients:
-Italian Bread
-Eggs, one for every two slices of bread
-Splash of milk
-A tablespoon of chives
-A dash of rosemary
-Handful of shredded Swiss cheese

Whisk together the milk & eggs.
Soak the bread in the mixture -- sprinkle the chives and rosemary on the outside.
Cook these pieces of bread like you normally would for French toast, in a heat skillet until golden brown on each side.
Once the pieces are cooked, top with the Swiss cheese.
Heat for a few minutes open-faced, then put the pieces together and allow the cheese to melt. 

  


This sandwich got mixed reviews. Cooking the bread like French toast made it it light and airy. The Swiss cheese paired well with the chives and rosemary flavors. Dave and I both thought that this was lacking something, but we weren't able to figure out what it was. I think it needed a sweet or acidic flavor to cut through the savory. 

Comments

Popular Posts