Zucchini and Orange Loaf

One week of finals is almost over, I've completed two of my five and Dave has his first final tonight. All we need to do is make it through next week! This is a recipe Dave put together with a guest post from him:

Why put zucchini in bread? It can be done . . . 


I'd eaten zucchini bread before and believed I could create one of my own, on a whim, as a gift for Alecia's family on her birthday. This subclass of breads came as a surprise to me at a time in my life, but, well, it exists, and has a certain moistness and the charm of having little green flecks in. It's cute to disparage, but these loaves actually can be quite good. Also, Alecia and I had zested something recently, so I had zesting on my mind for this.

I didn't have a proper recipe, I was in a hurry and modified these two recipes - food network and all recipes.

Here is what I came up with, for one loaf:

1.5 cup flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
2 t cinnamon
1+ cup sugar

I wrote down 1.5 eggs? I must have used 2 . . .
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1.5 t vanilla extract
1 cup grated zucchini
1-2 T orange zest

Bake 350 degrees for an hour.

It's important to keep in mind that, while baking is science, and fairly exact at that, it is also meant to be fun. Don't worry so much about the accuracy of the measurements; mainly enjoy the process of combining and observing your creation from parts to product.

Mix dry ingredients first.
Grate zucchini, and, with all remaining ingredients,
incorporate into the dry.
You will make a mess while baking. Let it happen.
Here it is in the oven. Typically for breads, one greases the
bottom of the loaf pan for removal, but not the sides, because
it helps the bread to rise.
Here it is removed from the oven.

The green specks in your bread are pieces of zucchini.
And my arrangement looks like a shrub . . .
I didn't mean to cut the loaf into pieces like you see above, but I had to cut off the end in order to at least taste it before attempting to serve it to Alecia's family, then I couldn't bring over a bread loaf with a piece lopped off the end, so. I was told that everyone enjoyed this, a good effort by me, and a sweet, moist loaf.

Comments

Popular Posts