Beet Hummus


This is my second time making hummus for the blog and this one is a stunning recipe. The color of the beet hummus is just gorgeous. I first had beet hummus at a bridal shower and decided to search Pinterest for a recipe. When we first started dating I found out that Dave really likes hummus (I watched him polish off most of a container in one sitting), so all of my hummus recipes need to get his seal of approval.

Recipe from A Cozy Kitchen

Ingredients:

-1 medium-sized beet (with its greens still attached)
-1/4 cup water
-1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained 
-2 garlic cloves, peeled
-3 tablespoons tahini paste
-Juice from 1 lemon
-Pinch lemon zest
-1 teaspoon ground cumin
-1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
-Salt to taste

1.) To cook my beet, I peeled it, put it in a microwave-safe dish with a little water and cooked for 3-4 minutes or until soft.
2.) In order to get super smooth hummus, you will need to remove the chickpea skins. Take each one between your thumb and index finger and gently squeeze the chickpea to set it free. This will give you store-bought smooth hummus.
3.) The fried beet greens make a delicious topping. Heat oil in a skillet, fry the green until crispy. Season with salt and pepper.
4.) Mix all ingredients (except the beet greens) into a blender. Blend until smooth. Add juice from the roasted beets or chickpea juice to thin if necessary. Crumble some beet greens over the hummus and serve with pita.






This recipe turned out beautiful! The color of that hummus is just stunning. The fried beet greens reminded me a little of fried zucchini in taste. Dave and I both enjoyed this recipe, I'm not sure if I skimped on my lemon juice portion or if the amount listed isn't enough (I think I just didn't use enough), but mine needed a tiny bit more lemon juice for serving.

Comments

Popular Posts