Beer Battered Avocado with Fruit Salsa


I had this "recipe" pinned on m Recipes to Try Pinterest board for a long time. It was one of my last five recipes so I'm guessing it's been at least two years since I had pinned this initially -- when I followed the link it didn't lead me to anywhere. It was just a photo.

I'm sure someone else came up with idea, because I certainly didn't, but the fruit salsa recipe and the batter recipe are mine so I'm claiming it -- so let's get crazy.

A Vegetarian & Cooking! original.

Ingredients:
-1 avocado
-1/2 cup flour
-1/2 cup beer (I used Bud Light)
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon pepper
-6-8 strawberries, diced
-1 Asian pear, diced
-1/2 a mango, diced
-1 kiwi, diced
-Oil, for frying
-Tortilla chips for serving

1.) Mix all of the diced fruit in a bowl. If you want to add some sugar for added sweetness you can, we just left ours plain.
2.) Mix together the beer, flour and seasoning. Dip the avocado into the beer batter making sure to coat the whole avocado.
3.) My parents have a deep fryer so I set that to 375 and then deep fried this for a few minutes until golden brown.
4.) Drain on a paper towel.
5.) Fill the avocado halves with fruit salsa and enjoy with chips.







This was an interesting recipe. I don't think that it was bad, but I think it could have been elevated a little more. The fruit salsa needed a little bit of sugar added to it, the beer batter obviously tasted like beer, and the sweetness from some added sugar would have helped cut through that flavor. It also would have been good to serve this with cinnamon-sugar tortilla chips rather than plain. Overall I was happy with how this turned out, it was a cool concept.

Comments

Popular Posts