Layered Doritos Casserole


If you came here looking for a healthy meal today, then you should probably stop reading. This casserole was anything but healthy, but for an easy to make weeknight dinner which yielded leftovers for lunch. The flavors in this were spot on, Dave and I were both going back for second and third portions.

Recipe from Spend with Pennies

Ingredients:
-1 (family size) bag Doritos, any flavor (I used the Spicy Nacho)
-1 onion, diced
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1 cup thick salsa
-1 cup sour cream
-1 can cream of  mushroom soup
-2 cups shredded cheese
-Lettuce
-Tomato
-Sour Cream

Crush enough Doritos to cover the bottom of an 8x8. You don't want them to be dust, so leave some pieces.


In a mixing bowl combine salsa, sour cream, soup and 1 cup of cheese. I used the thickest salsa I could find and there wasn't too much liquid -- if yours has liquid in it then strain it.

Layer some of the salsa mixture on top of the Doritos. Add more cheese. Repeat one more time topping the casserole with crushed Doritos and a layer of cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes covered and 20 minutes uncovered. We served ours with more sour cream and some lettuce and diced tomato.





While it's not the prettiest dish, it was so cheesy and rich,  I couldn't get enough of it. Dave and I both really enjoyed this and were scrambling to eat the leftovers in our lunches. This casserole didn't last more than a day and a half because we both took a big portion for lunch. As I mentioned, this is pretty rich and it's not necessarily good for you -- this will make it into my monthly cooking rotation though. It's nice to enjoy something rich every once in a while and I'd love to try this with different flavors.

Comments

Popular Posts