Chocolate Doughnuts with Caramel Glaze


I still love the baked doughnut pan that I bought on Black Friday several years ago. I find doughnuts to be incredibly easy to make and I prefer to make them over other baked goods. I am not a baker by any means.

I made two changes in this recipe -- the original called for cake flour. Due to the fact that cake flour is lighter than all-purpose flour, you will use slightly less. To do that measure out two cups and put two tablespoons back into the flour. I also subbed the sour cream for yogurt because that is what I had on hand.

Recipe from Country Cleaver.

Ingredients:
Doughnuts
-2 cups minus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
-2/3 cup sugar
-2 tsp. baking powder
-1/2 cup cocoa powder
-3/4 tsp salt
-1/2 cup plain yogurt
-2 eggs
-1/2 tsp vanilla
-3/4 + 2 tbsp milk
-3 tbsp butter, melted

Caramel Glaze
-2 cup brown sugar
-1/2 + 2 tbsp heavy cream
-3 Tbsp butter
-2 tsp vanilla

In a bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Whisk together yogurt, the eggs, vanilla, milk and melted butter. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stir to combine

Fill a ziplock bag with the batter and then pipe into a greased doughnut pan. Bake at 425 for 9 minutes.

To make the glaze, heat all ingredients in a pot, stirring until combined. Dip each doughnut halfway into the glaze.




I thought these doughnuts were just okay. Dave and I ate most of them (and gave half to my parents, two people only need so many doughnuts). I liked the caramel glaze, but thought the doughnuts themselves need to be just a tad bit sweeter. They would have been good with some chocolate chips added for additional sweetness. 

Comments

Popular Posts