Saffron Chickpea Risotto



"I like that Spanish saffron is your impulse buy."

The above sentence defines my relationship. I'm in charge of the grocery shopping, but Dave always comes with me. And while I'm really great about sticking to a list, sometimes I find a product that I just cannot pass up. I purchased the saffron with no plan and found this recipe later.

Recipe from Tori Avey.

Ingredients:
-6 cups low sodium vegetable stock
-1/4 cup olive oil
-1 3/4 cup Carnaroli, Vialone or Arborio rice
-1/2 cup minced shallots
-1 cup dry white wine
-2 tbsp unsalted butter
-3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese 
-1 3/4 cups chickpeas, cooked or canned and drained
-1 loose teaspoon saffron threads

Place the saffron in a small dish or shot glass with 2 tablespoons of hot water to let it bloom.



Bring the stock to a simmer and then heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the rice and coat it in the oil. Add the shallots and cook until translucent. Deglaze the pan using the white wine while stirring, cook until the liquid has cooked down quite a bit, until the liquid is almost absorbed. Add a ladleful of stock and stir until the stock is almost absorbed, before adding more stock.

When the rice is almost finished -- add the saffron + water that it's in + the butter. Stir to incorporate. Add one more ladleful of stock and stir until the liquid is almost absorbed. 

Add the chickpeas and remove from the heat. Season and stir in the cheese. 







Neither of us had tried saffron before, we thought this was good, but weren't entirely sure what flavor profile we were supposed to taste. We did enjoy this dish, but it wasn't my favorite risotto dish that we've put together. 

Comments

Popular Posts