Farmer’s Lunch


I made the Farmer's Lunch Sandwich in one of my first years of blogging. It was so good that my siblings and I ate all of the onion-thyme jam and I needed to buy more ingredients to make additional sandwiches. I thought the ingredients would be perfect for a grilled cheese sandwich. 

Inspired by: The Farmer's Lunch Sandwich posted in 2013.

Ingredients:
-Rye Bread,
-White cheddar
-Grainy mustard
-Onion Thyme Jam (see recipe below)
-Granny Smith Apples.


Onion-Thyme Jam (will make 1 cup, I cut the recipe in half)
-2 tablespoons unsalted butter
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-4 medium sweet onions, chopped (about 4 cups)
-2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried)
-1 bay leaf
-1 roasted garlic clove, mashed (optional)
-Kosher salt
-Freshly ground black pepper
-1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
-2 tablespoons brown sugar




Alecia: I’ve been dreaming of this sandwich ever since I made the original a little over a two years ago. The onion-thyme jam really make this sandwich, the flavor is sweet with a hint of the apple cider vinegar. The green apples added a nice textural contrast because they stayed crunchy. The white cheddar got nice and gooey. I loved this sandwich.

Dave: Tartness and crunch, paired with the sharp gooey cheese paired with the distinctive notes of thyme combining to form a really interesting sandwich.

Comments

Popular Posts