Scales of Justice Cookies


Today is graduation day for Dave and me! We're excited that all of our hard work has paid off and we plan on spending the day celebrating. When I was looking for some cool ideas for this post, I was mainly finding dessert recipes for college graduations, but I finally found the idea to make Scales of Justice cookies. I had never worked with royal icing before, but Dave and I decided that we were up for the challenge.

In order to save some time (and because it's been 85+ degrees here and I have no desire to turn on my oven), I purchased some pre-made sugar cookies from the grocery store. They didn't have any plain ones, so the ones I purchased  already had some chocolate drizzle on them. If you'd like to make the sugar cookies yourself, this is the cut out sugar cookie recipe that I usually use.

Inspired by Haniela's.

Glossy Royal Icing Recipe from All Recipes.

Ingredients:
Glossy Royal Icing
-1/4 cup warm water
-1 tablespoon light corn syrup
-1/4 teaspoon almond extract (or vanilla extract)
-3 cups confectioners' sugar, or more as needed

-8 sugar cookies
-Food coloring or gel
-Scales of Justice Stencil
-Exacto Knife
-Piping Bag
-Tooth Pick

Royal icing traditionally has meringue powder (which I couldn't find at the store) or egg whites (my mom hates when things have raw egg whites), so although some reviews of the original recipe complained that it's not "traditional" royal icing, I was pretty happy with how it all turned out.

First, make the batch of the glossy royal icing. Combine the warm water, corn syrup and the extract in a small bowl. Stir until the corn syrup dissolves. In a larger bowl have the powdered sugar waiting. Add the wet ingredients and then using an electric mixer on medium speed combine the ingredients until they're thick like frosting.

Divide the frosting into two batches. Using food coloring or gel, dye one a dark color (you'll want the dark color to be the base) and then add the frosting to a piping bag. Cover each cookie with the frosting, you can leave a little unfrosted cookie around the edge if you'd like. Allow the cookies to dry.

While the cookies are drying, make your stencil by either free handing a design (if you're brave like Dave) or tracing a print out onto a notecard or thick piece of paper. Use the exacto knife to cut out the design, don't cut out the chains which are holding up the scales, that will make the stencil too flimsy, you'll just free hand that portion of the icing.

Once the blue icing is dry, lightly sketch the pattern onto the blue frosting using a tooth pick. Stir the remaining frosting (it may have hardened a little while you were waiting) and then add two additional tablespoons of powdered sugar to the frosting. you'll want it to be really thick. Fill another piping bag with the remaining frosting and then fill in the etched out design.

Let harden and then serve. 










I was so happy with how these turned out, The blue frosting wasn't as thick as I wanted so some of the edges weren't very clean. The scales turned out great though, We cleaned up any mistakes with the end of a toothpick. Happy graduation day to us! 

Comments

Popular Posts