Crispy Orange Cauliflower

 

I've had this recipe on my Pinterest board for a long, long time. I'm not sure what was holding me back from adding it to my menu rotation, but I'm glad that I decided to make it. I chose to serve this as a side dish, but if you served it over rice you could make it more of a main dish instead.

Recipe from Fork and Beans.


Ingredients:
-1/3 cup water
-1/3 cup corn starch
-1/4 cup flour
-1 teaspoon oil
-Oil for Frying
-1 teaspoon oil
-zest of 1 orange + juice of orange
-2 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce
-2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
-1/4 cup orange juice
-1 teaspoon corn starch
-1 teaspoon brown sugar
-Green onions, garnish
-Sesame seeds, garnish

Whisk together the water, corn starch, flour and oil until a batter has formed. You'll want the batter to be like a thick waffle batter consistency.

Heat up a skillet with 1/2 cup of oil on medium/high heat. Dip each small floret into the batter until covered and then fry in the hot oil until completely browned. Place the already fried florets on a on a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt.

Mix together the orange juice/zest, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, corn starch and brown sugar Bring to a boil in a clean skillet. Once the sauce has thickened, toss the cauliflower with the sauce, top with green onion and sesame seeds, then serve.


  



This made a ridiculously good side dish alongside the Udon Soup with Poached Egg and Bok Choy from yesterday's blog. The batter on the cauliflower was pretty light and allowed me to get a nice brown color on it. The sauce was full of flavor and adding sesame seeds and green onion to the top helped to bring out a little extra color and texture in the dish.

Comments

Popular Posts