Red Velvet Cake No Bake Truffles


Happy Valentine's Day weekend. This year I decided not to make a Valentine's Day meal and just stuck with creating several desserts using red velvet cake mix. Pink, red, and white seem to be the unofficial Valentine's Day colors and working my way through a box of red velvet cake mix in the name of a love filled holiday didn't seem too difficult.

Inspired by The Novice Chef.

Ingredients: 
-1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, room temperature
-1 1/2 cups red velvet cake mix
-1/2 cup granulated sugar
-1/2 cup all purpose flour
-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
-16 ounces milk chocolate
-Red sanding sugar

In a large bowl sift together the red velvet cake mix, granulated sugar, and flour. Add in the butter and vanilla extract, stirring to combine all of the ingredients until a dough forms. Pinch off pieces of the dough and roll them to form truffle sized balls, I managed to get 22 pieces. Put the uncovered truffles into the freezer for an hour.

After an hour, melt the milk chocolate and coat each truffle in melted chocolate until covered, move to a piece of parchment paper, then sprinkle with a small amount of red sanding sugar.

Allow the chocolate to harden before serving.




I took these to work and they've got rave reviews from my co-workers, everyone enjoyed them. I was concerned that they would be overly sweet, but I don't think that they were, the cake mix itself isn't that sweet and adding the additional flour helped to prevent these from becoming saccharine sweet. The filling on the inside had a dense, crumbly texture that was reminiscent of a softer butterfinger center. I'm not sure if I liked these better or the cake balls that I made for the super bowl, both were incredibly easy though.

Comments

Popular Posts