Blackberry and Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast Bake


When the Smashed Blackberry & Goat Cheese Toasts recipe left me with leftover blackberries, blackberry sauce, and ciabatta bread I decided to try to work them into a second recipe. I already had four ounces of neufchatel cheese in my fridge, so a stuffed french toast seemed like a pretty way to incorporate the blackberries and blackberry sauce.

The original recipe serves eight and can be made in an 8x8 glass baking dish. I cut the recipe in half based on the ingredients I had to make four ramekins of French Toast Bake. You could also bake this in a loaf pan if you don't want to make individual portions.

I didn't add any extra sugar to this and thought it tasted best liberally drowned in maple syrup (okay, maybe I didn't use that much, but it needs more than is baked into the recipe). Overall, it was a nice way to use some of the leftovers from the other recipe and an easy breakfast for dinner recipe to put together.

Inspired by this post from Creative Culinary.

Ingredients:
-All of the leftover sauce from this recipe
-1/2 loaf ciabatta bread, sliced and cubed
-4 ounces neufchatel, cubed
-1/2 cup blackberries
-4 large eggs
-1 cups milk
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-4 tablespoons maple syrup, and more to taste

Preheat oven to 350° and grease four 9 ounce ramekins. Evenly divide the cubed bread and nuefchatel cheese between the ramekins. In a bowl combine the eggs, milk, vanilla extract and maple syrup. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and then bake for 30 minutes covered, 10 uncovered.

Serve with the blackberry sauce, I needed to add a little water to thin mine. And additional maple syrup and garnish with the remaining fresh blackberries.


  

Comments

Popular Posts